Some biologists believe that genetically there are some ways we act that are predetermined by chemicals in our body, the idea of nature vs. nurture. Well I used to believe that was true especially because there were two things I absolutely refused to do before I even learned how to talk, wear Plaid and eat mushrooms. Plaid is an unrelated story but as soon as I gained my first set of pearly whites my parents tried time and time again to feed me that tough textured fungus and I would cry and cry until they stopped.
So without ever trying them I went for years eating various foods and never giving them a chance. Then one fateful day me and three of my friends decided to order a works pizza from Papa Johns. Although I explicitly asked the man over the phone for NO MUSHROOMS, for some reason, probably out of pure spite for me, Papa Johns decided to deliver the pizza with those tiny "delicacies" on them. I was very close to complaining and asking for a refund, but after some quite effective rhetoric my friends convinced me to let it go and try them. Once I tried them I decided that they were not actually that bad.
So after that day I decided that mushrooms were okay on pizza, and that eventually moved to mushrooms are okay with pasta, then mushrooms are okay in salad, then to mushrooms are just generally okay, even to the point where mushrooms became something I found tasty. But besides just learning to like mushrooms, the experience taught me to give new experiences a chance and keep my mind open. Because even if you've hated something your entire life, you might find out that it's something great that you were missing in your life. Although mushrooms don't fill any sort of empty space in my heart, they have definitely made me a more open and better person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Max, I can completely understand where you are coming from. I am glad that you are opening up your mind to try new foods and I thought that the way you turned your experience with mushrooms into a life lesson that you learned was fantastic.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very well writen and intereting post. I like how you inorporated nature vs nurture in the beginning. Very well done.
ReplyDeleteGreat title. It definitely catches some interest from the reader. I also really liked how your discovering that you liked mushrooms made you realize that it might be a good idea to give other things a try to. Thats a great way to think about it. And as Lindsey mentioned, I liked how you employed the nature vs nurture. Good job.
ReplyDeleteyeah your title caught my attention because it said something about shrooms. I'm like I gotta read this. it sounded pretty well written tho. and mushrooms are sweet. k thanks
ReplyDeleteHaha I'm on the same page as Marcus, saw shrooms in the title and I was instantly drawn in. While your post may not have been exactly what I was expecting, I thoroughly enjoyed reading of your transformation from a shroom hater to lover. And I also agree, shrooms are awesome, especially on pizza with sausage and onion.
ReplyDelete