Thursday, April 22, 2010

Underground, a dull white light is hanging over your head creating a feeling that something is missing from your life. People slaving away for hours with a look of sadness on their faces. People's backs are aching from toiling away for so long. You know Frank the overseer is watching you. Where are you? The Steeb Hall basement study room.
In the basement one of the old brick buildings that make up the "Freshman Four" dormitories is the study room. Sitting hear I notice a student who's eyes are bloodshot who has probably been here for a few hours now buried in her biology. Oddly enough I have never been able to engage in conversation here because everyone is extremely vigilant in their studying and never wants to talk. At first I thought the people in Steeb were very open and friendly, but the study room changes people. The bright and smiling girl from cleveland area who likes John Mayer and played volleyball in high school suddenly becomes a scornful recluse who is cold towards anyone who interrupts her studying. I thought about why this is and it may be because Steeb Hall is the engineering/science learning community and science is not an easy major.
A story that I could easily see taking place here would be a story about werewolves. Why I say this is because people who are friendly people during the day are a different meaner version of themselves when the moon is full and they are in the basement. The people here may not be the villians of the story though because they are not really evil people it is just the homework that turns them evil and maybe in the story they could try to find a cure to homework turning them into evil people. If you frequent the Steeb Hall Basement study room you will find a message that is not so subtle, "Majoring in science/engineering will make you bitter and evil."

1 comment:

  1. I have ventured the tunnels often on those late nights traveling from dorm to dorm, so I know this study room rather well and I know this is truly correct of me, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. It was intriguing and entertaining from start to finish. You grabbed my attention and you kept it. I sincerely hope you write your story of "The Werewolf of Steeb Hall" because I, for one, would love to see where you go with it.

    ReplyDelete